Sunday, October 7, 2012

Come what may and love it.

As many of you know, the Saturday Morning session of October 2012 general conference changed things for some people.
Okay.
More like... Changed their lives entirely.

For those of you reading this who don't know, in the LDS church boys have previously been asked to serve two year, full-time missions at the age of 19. Girls have been given the option to go, starting at the age of 21, on a full-time eighteen month mission. However, they are merely given the option. If they reach the age of 21 and they feel prompted to go on a mission, then they are more than welcome to.

All my life, I have thought about this age of 21. All my life, the mere thought of going on a mission scared me. I always thought "Well... I'll just get married before I turn 21. Then I won't have to go." And I did sincerely believe that I would be married before I got the opportunity to serve a mission, so I'd always tell people "Yeahh... If I get to be 21 and I'm not yet married, and I feel like I should go, then yeah. I'll probably go." and in my head be like "but I'll make sure you get a wedding announcement."

I'll tell you what. The Lord knows what He's doing, what you're doing, what you need to do, and how to get you there. After yesterday, there is no doubt in my mind of that fact.

Yesterday morning, President Thomas S. Monson got up at the beginning of conference. He started off cracking jokes, announcing temples, you know. That old chestnut. And then, he starts into talking about how some foreign countries allow young men at the age of 18 to start into their missions depending on their maturity and their ability to serve. They have had great success with these missionaries, and they turned out to be just as mature and driven as any other missionary in the field.

At this time, I'm camping with my family. We're all sitting around my grandparent's trailer, listening to conference. When President Monson is starting into this, I hear my grandma say "Oh no... He's going to make it 18 to go out..."

Sure enough: "I am pleased to announce that, effective immediately, all worthy and able young men who have graduated from high school or its equivalent, regardless of where they live, will have the opportunity of being recommended for missionary service beginning at the age of 18 instead of age 19."

WHAT a blessing! Missionaries have a hard time trying to figure out what the heck to do before they can leave, and many of my friends have absolutely hated just sitting there and waiting to turn 19 so they could leave.

Then, President Monson "We've also given consideration to the age at which young women may serve."
My dad's giving me this look like "Ooh, they're gonna lower it too!"
I'm giving my dad this look like "I know!!"
And we're all praying that they lower it to 20. They only lowered it one year for the brothers, why not only one for the sisters?

"Today, I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for service at the age of 19, instead of age 21."

I'm 19.

The second he said 19 I just doubled over bawling. I couldn't help it. I couldn't really pin why I was crying so hard. Definitely not because I was sad, angry, or frustrated. As I think about it though, I think I was so overwhelmed with the knowledge that my Father in Heaven knows me so intimately, loves me so much, and has such big PLANS for me. I had been feeling for a while that I needed to get out of my area and gain new experiences. I had been feeling that there was so much more I could be doing. School is great, and a good thing for me to be doing, but there is more that I need to do right now. I couldn't figure it out, cause really. What is there to do for a 19 year old girl from Idaho that wouldn't cost tons of money?

It also didn't help that I was scared out of my mind.
I hadn't planned on having to think about this for about another year... But here it is.

I have a lot of praying and fasting to do. This is a big deal. I'll be putting my life on hold for a year and a half! It's not a decision that can be made overnight. That being said, I would appreciate so greatly your prayers as well. I am overwhelmed with excitement, fear, JOY, and humility, and I want to make the right choice.

I know that this church is true. There's not a single ounce of doubt in my mind of the truthfulness of this gospel. And I know that, whatever I choose, the Lord is going to take care of me if I put my trust and faith in Him.


Now. I'm going to go finish conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment