Well, the day after I posted my whiny post was the first day I heard a customer express concerns about bed bugs.
***DISCLAIMER*** There were no bed bugs!! This guy was an EFY counselor my age who had never seen chigger bites before and didn't have any other explanation. No bed bugs. AT all.
We were worried at first, though. That is the WORST thing you can hear for a hotel. So they sent me and another girl I work with upstairs (I was at the front desk) to check it out. So I went up and looked every way that I knew how (not like I'm a bed bug pro or anything...) but I couldn't see ANYTHING. At all. And with the bites this kid apparently had, there would be something very visible there. So we asked to see his bites and we're both like "Yeah. Those would NOT look like that." I guess bed bugs leave little scabby marks and these were like swollen mosquito bites. The counselor just kept looking at me like I was an idiot, cause he was so convinced that that's what it was. I did not like him.
OH. Speaking of EFY counselors. Yeah, nothing happened with that kid haha. I saw him the next morning, but after that I didn't even see him till thursday... I was working the front desk and he came up to get his key reprogrammed. We talked for a little bit and I was convinced he was going to ask for my number or something with his whole "well we need to hang out" crap so I was prepping myself for that when he goes "Well, have a great summer! It was nice to meet you!"
Alright. Haha that was kind of... Not a slap to the face? But more like a bonk on the head... It didn't hurt, but I wasn't expecting it and I didn't like it haha.
Right after that though, another counselor that I'd been talking to a lot as well came in and was like "Uh, I have a really awkward question for you.... Do you guys have a plunger I can use?" I just laughed and Danielle went to get him one. Before he walked out he goes "Well, you need to come to Utah State..." and I was like "Well we should be like facebook friends so we can hang out when I go down there!" Anyways. He just asked me for my number. So that was good, a little bit of an ego boost after the last guy bonked me on the head.
But the story with the head bonker gets better.
So the whole group left saturday. The kids all left at like 6 in the morning and the counselors stayed for a few hours after. Obviously, we got started on the Manor as soon as we could because it was a disgusting mess and every room needed to be cleaned. We go walking in right as the EFY counselors all do to get their things packed up. I do need to explain a few things though. First of all, I have the creepiest way of remembering people and things about people that I don't need to remember. Second, this especially applies when there are numbers involved which is great because people's most personal information involves numbers. Third, I work housekeeping and front desk. I have basically unlimited access, whether I like it or not, to who's rooming where. I think you can probably tell where this is going?
A few days before this, I think it was thursday again, I was grabbing towels and trash from the rooms in the manor. I had the whole first floor, which is all the guys. In one room, I was grabbing trash from under the desk, and I saw a key packet with this counselor's name on it. I obviously felt like a creep (even though it was kind of my job to be there) and hurried to leave. Later that night, when he came in to reprogram his key, he told me what room number he was in.
This is where all three aspects of me combine and kill me.
So Saturday he walks up to his room as I'm walking down the hall. His key didn't work again, so he asked me if I had a key that could unlock it. I was like "yeah sure" and go to unlock the door of his room WITHOUT HIM TELLING ME WHICH ONE IT WAS.
Bad. Bad bad.
I'm hoping that I realized what I was doing and stopped early enough for him not to notice before I asked which one was his. I don't think he noticed cause he was just really friendly and like "Oh! It's this one! I'm sorry, I probably should have told you that!"
Ahem.
By that point I was really ready for them all to just GET OUT but on top of it all the guys except for the one I had a crush on kept coming up and talking to me as I'm trying to clean the room I was in. Which, it's not like I wasn't interested, I just had 11 rooms that needed cleaned (that were nasty. By the way.) and I needed to get started. All of my coworkers were staring at me like "Really? Please get moving."
We also went to a vocal point performance one night that week. I think it was Wednesday? Maybe? Anyways. Kenz and I got all dressed up and looking really good. I had my hair curled and Kenz's hair was straightened. By the end of the night, hers was curly (well, wavy) and mine was frizzy and straight.
I HATE HUMIDITY.
I went to get layers in my hair a day or two before that and I asked the lady how I can keep my hair straight in weather like this and she goes "you can't. Your good hair days are gone."
Well, poop on you humidity.
We didn't talk to them after their performance for a few reasons. One being the fact that we had already been to like three of them and talked to them afterwards... Another being our hair... And the third being that all the EFY kids were there and they would be swarming them for like an hour afterwards. By that point I was kind of ready for them to get out too haha.
Friday, I went to Burlington with Danielle (a girl we work with). We went to Buffalo Wild Wings and the mall. I'm still pretty surprised at how different it is over here... Like I'm kind of sure we could have ordered alcohol and the lady wouldn't have even asked for ID or any nonsense like that.
Sunday we finally got our records transferred in. The second counselor read the ward business and was like "We have some new members to read in that we received records for... And I hope I say this name right..." I knew it was me haha. That's only been my entire life story.
After church Kenz and I were all bummed out cause nobody had invited us for dinner and we actually had to figure something out. So we ate, took a nap, and at around 5 we were invited over for dinner! By the Smith family again. They have a son who's on a mission with one of my really good friends from school. They both went into the MTC on the same day so they were in the same district there. Random, right? Haha but whatever. That's only the beginning of the random connections.
When we got there, her daughter and son-in-law were there again. She said that she also invited the sister missionaries to join us as well. When they got there, I thought a couple of them (there were three) looked really familiar. We get sat down for dinner and start small talking. When we told them where we were from, one goes "You're from Idaho? What part?" and I said Rigby and she goes "You're from Rigby?! Do you know Chris Parrett??" And I knew where I knew this girl from. She was Chris' girlfriend hahaha. She was pretty surprised to find out that, not only do I know him, but he was in my ward AND subdivision!
Then it turned out that another sister was in one of my classes at USU my first year. So we just had random connections all over the place!
After dinner the sisters gave a "lesson", but it was more of asking the Smith's on advice for how to get a more meaningful scripture study. Which was exactly what I needed. I'm trying really hard to prepare for my mission, and I really need to figure out what I can do to become completely committed and get really excited to serve. They taught us a method called the "brown sugar" method. It has five steps:
1) Find the scripture.
2) Read the scripture
3) Pick out a word or phrase that stands out to you
4) Identify why it stand out
5) Explain to someone else why it stands out.
This was really cool. We did it with a really short scripture and it was interesting to see what other people's takes on the scripture was. It just really helped to gain a more broad perspective on the scripture.
After we got back from their house we took our bikes out for a spin. We went down to the visitors center, pet oxen, and caught fireflies. Then we talked to our families. I miss them so much! We only have a little over a month left here... And I'm pretty ready haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment